Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Birding Win + Birding FAIL

Birding Win:
From Holmestead Pictures (public)

In the Fall Taliatha got these shots of some wild turkeys on our front lawn. At night some of them roost in the cottonwoods behind our home.
From Holmestead Pictures (public)

Aren't they great? Speaking of turkeys, we've ordered four heritage breed turkeys (Narragansett) through Cackle Hatchery along with some other chickens. They arrive in April. We ordered a straight run which means whether we get males or females is luck of the draw. I'm hoping for at least one of each because the chicks are a little pricey (about $8 each) and I'd like to breed my own in the future.

Birding FAIL:
From Holmestead Pictures (public)

I had a near miss on a cuckoo last summer. In the Fall Milky Way killed a yellow-billed cuckoo in our backyard before I got a chance to see it alive. Thus, I remain cuckoo-less.

3 comments:

  1. I got my first cuckoo about a year and half ago here in TX, cool bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh. Straight run. You're so adventurous. That's how we'd order our chickens and one year my dad thought he'd gotten rid of all the roosters (he didn't want them breeding) but missed one. He (the rooster) was on the small side so the hens just bossed him around until we got rid of him, but how I loved to hear him crow each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen a cuckoo yet. I did see a painted bunting once.

    By the way, I hope you guys are happy, getting me hooked on birdwatching. In the two places I've lived outside of Utah, I've driven many hours to see sandhill cranes several times. A couple of times successfully.

    I've even experienced the frustration of trying to take friends along birding, and no longer resent you for the 3 hours we spent before dawn one January morning up Provo canyon in the freezing cold without seeing anything remotely resembling an owl. Thankfully, my friends seem to be much more patient than me.

    ReplyDelete