Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Let's hear it for the boys

Two things:

1. We went to a packed (and by packed, I mean, standing room only) theater last night to see the tour de force that was Brandie's EHHS kids' Much Ado... You wouldn't believe me if I described the ovation that Mr. Arnold got when he took the stage to introduce it.

2. Last week, Tone and I went to film Mikey in action in his classroom full of bright-eyed fourth graders, and it was hard for me to hold the camera steady at times because I was so inspired by Mr. Padeken's ability at the front of the room.

It's almost laughable to think about pimply, hormone addled teenagers putting together a feature film, right? Add Shakespeare to the mix and it's freaking hilarious. I'd say it's just as funny to imagine little Mikey Padeken, wound-up like a bag of rubber springs and loaded with his Cheshire Cat grin, growing into the frame of a respectable man, husband and father. Add "that one teacher who made the difference" to that frame and I'm losing my mind.

I know Holmes is teaching, too, and I hear Kevin Chambers is doing his share. I'm not sure who else is or was, but I want to take my hat off to all of you. I think if the kids of this world could learn from any bunch of guys, you'd be the ones to show them the way.

5 comments:

  1. I have give a huge amen to when Mr. Wells has said. Thanks to all of you teachers. The world is a better place because of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jed. I'm always quick to point out flaws with our educational system--but I agree that there are some great teachers out there and I am VERY appreciative of the ones I've had along the way. I aspire to be one of the good ones but I know I'm not all the way there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jed, I do remember one really great teacher I had at the MTC:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha! i kinda remember that teacher being something of a jerk. but thanks, anyway anziano.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Thanks, Jed. I'm jealous you got to see Mikey in action. That would be fun to see.

    ReplyDelete