Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Sweet Land

Has anyone else seen this film? I loved it. It seems like something Brandie would like since he's into Minnesota. (Pastor Inqvist anyone?)



Things to like about this film:
1. A good period piece (for my non-discriminating tastes). I like the early 20th century farming. Super hard work but so appealing to me for some reason.

2. It's a quiet, understated love story. The lead couple overcome challenges and make their marriage work. Some things I find admirable about their relationship and consider good ingredients for most marriages: being poor together in their early marriage, avoiding sexual relations until they are married, and overcoming cultural differences to forge their own family culture.

3. I like the supporting actors and the soundtrack.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen it. I thought it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see it, and yes, mainly because it was set in minnesota. It's pretty great. A fine antidote to trash like "bridges of madison county." I finally saw that a couple weeks ago, thinking "hey, Clint Eastwood directed this, I'd better check it out." Give me a break.

    ReplyDelete