Friday, October 1, 2010

Revive THIS!


If you follow cjane at all or even if you happen to read my Jayne's blog from time to time, you may have heard of this Lower Lights project that I've been involved with for the last year. It's getting off the ground this fall, starting with a free concert tonight downtown in Provo. It should be a cracking good time... and it's free.

Come check it out if you're around. It's a great chance to experience the hymns in a new way. We went about it all in a spirit of reverence for these great old songs, hoping to use our talents for something good. Brandie was there with me in the beginning, documenting the making of the record. If you haven't, go here and see the story behind the project. Or take a minute and view a couple of the music videos that Brandie cut together.

This is one of my personal faves.

Secret Prayer from The Lower Lights on Vimeo.

And if you don't live in Provo, anymore (suckas!), you can buy the whole blasted record here. Or on itunes or whatever, but if you buy it from bandcamp, the band gets all the monies for mounting firesides and spreading the germ of Hymn Revival to all the world!

5 comments:

  1. I went and listened to their album sometime a couple of weeks ago when you had posted something Lower Lights-related on facebook.

    It's really good stuff. I'm a sucker for good folk music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know much about this. What is your involvement with the group?

    I love the name "Lower Lights." The whole thing seems like a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry for the late reply, talaitha. my involvement went from being the photographer/filmmaker documenting the genesis of the record, to being a member of the board that makes up the lower lights and organizes shows and firesides and whatever else. i think my official title is artistic director or something. whatever that means.

    i thought the name would be particularly meaningful to this group of fellas since that hymn was always our standby and favorite for farewells and homecomings. i dearly miss singing it with the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think over the course of high school I sang all four parts of that hymn in different quartets. I don't think I could do the bass very well anymore, unless it were an early sacrament meeting. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little behind on the blog but I loved the band, very, very good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete